Thursday, January 27, 2005

 

If They Really, Really Want You...Think Twice!

A while back I went to an interview with a major company out in LA. Everything was going well and it seemed like they really liked me. However, things started to take a strange turn. What I mean by this is that things went from good to great. So you're probably wondering what's wrong with that. It seemed as if they were making a sales pitch telling me not only how great I was but what a wonderful company they were. Now as a recruiter I am very confident in my abilities. But at the same time I am realistic so I know my strenghts and limitations. I began to feel uncomfortable with how aggressive they were. Right away a red flag went up. At that point I went into my questioning mode which is very important when being interviewed by a prospective employer. After an intense line of questioning and probing I gathered that they really wanted me for their sales division. Prior to the meeting I specifially told them that I was not interested in sales. However, they heard through their sources that I was great at it and figured they could somehow convince me to work with them. To make a long story short I turned down the position even with the high salary they were offering. It just wasn't what I wanted to do. So if they go out of their way to try and impress you, stop and think for a moment. Maybe there are things you need to know before accepting their offer. And don't forget that in addition to being interviewed you are also interviewing them as well! Ask intelligent questions, get more information before you make any decisions. It could save you from making a terrible mistake

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?