Thursday, June 01, 2006

 

Magazines Baby!

First let me say that I am happy to hear that my Blog is one of the best sources of tips for job hunters. I think it is because I give insider tips not part of the common loop thinking. So with that said lets talk about magazines. A good friend of mine just secured a great job out in LA. When she mentioned the computer startup company's name it rang a bell. Well, it turns out that a couple of months earlier I picked up a new computer magazine which had actually listed the company's name. That's when it hit me. Magazines baby! I then started collecting all these magazines from different fields. Turns out many magazines actively promote companies. Whether they have been in business for years or new startups, they are a great source for job hunters. They even include in depth background information on these companies along with important contact names. And there are literally hundreds out magazines out there! That's source material for ya! Just because they are not listed on the job boards doesn't mean that they are not hiring. It's called a preemptive strike! So next time you are at the newsstand pick up a copy of the Hollywood Reporter, Business Weekly, Filmmaker Magazine, Forbes and etc. They are great for leads and practically no one is taking advantage of them! Happy hunting!

Comments:
Dear Ron,

I read your article and it was highly informative and helpful. It's hard to believe that things are so bad out there, that we have to be on guard all the time.

I just wanted to let you know, you reinforced my actions reguarding my wife and her wanting to go into an acting career, but doesn't take it too seriously now and it was because I discouraged her. I know she felt bad, but it was for her own good and it was a time in her life that she was realising she needed a lift.

It was just a year or two ago,
she read an add in the paper and called the phone number. There were signs then, that something wasn't on the up and up as she made a comment to me, that the guy on the phone seemed very strange.

Anyway, it took everything she had just to call for an appointment.
She went and she was late and no one was there and what was strange was she saw a car pulling away and it had "Boss" on the plates. She said, the man was Afican American and he seemed to be dressed up, but casual and he was heavy and in a maroon Monte Carlo.

She rescheduled and she went back and some one was there. Also, a nice young boy in the waiting area and she struck up a converstion with him and he was into music or something, so she said.

When she went in for the interview, he said he needed to go downstairs for a minute. There was a worker out in the hall,(that in hindsight for her may have saved her skin), because the young boy had come and gone. She now thinks he went down and locked the main entrance door.

Anyway, this guy's name was Terri Gillenwaters and he was with "Click" photography (the one stop shop)and it sounded legitimate, but he did say things that left her very uplifted. I felt sorry for her when she came home, because she was really excited and
yet she is a very cautious person, but cons are most definitely slick.

I crushed her elation, as did my middle son! We advised her to do her homework and get on the internet and research this guy. She actually did more research than even I had realised. It ended up being very strange and as we never knew for sure if it was the guy we found on the internet, but if he was one in the same, he was from New York and details fit so well, such as the "Boss", the wife this guy married, (Jade, don't remember last name) a supposed agent named Terri.

Anyway this is a true story of something that could have gone severely wrong. I'm grateful that she came down off the cloud and came to her senses. It may be a very beautiful world out there, but there are a handful that can make things very ugly. Since she has always been a person of level headedness,shrewd and discreet, it was easy to get her head out of the clouds.

Funny, even as a child she claims, she always was very cautious and careful, so that was a time she I was glad she listened to me. I'll refer her to your informative article and I am sure it will be very helpful information to her now, in the future and in reviewing the past events, I just told you of.

Very Kind Regards!
And keep up the good work!

Shawn Baxter
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?